One of the most important software packages you will need to run a business is a good antivirus solution. While there are tons of huge established companies like Norton, McAfee and Symnatec that sell antivirus software, there are actually better services out there and a lot of them are available for free. Here are my favorite antivirus software tools:
1. Microsoft Security Essentials – If you have a Windows computer, then this is a no-brainer. The old Microsoft antivirus tools were worthless but they’ve really stepped up their game with MSE. Just keep it updated and you should be good to go.
2. AVG – Probably my go-to antivirus software. They have a free version available to download on their website. The only downside is that you tend to get a lot of notifications.
3. Avast – Another great option which also has a free version. Check them out before buying Norton or McAfee.
4. Kapersky – This was one of my favorites back in the day but I haven’t used it in awhile to make a recommendation one way or the other.
5. Avira – I know this is another popular antivirus tool but I haven’t used it.
Other options for malware/spyware removal
1. Malware Bytes – Definitely download the free trial of this software in addition to your full blown AV software from the list above.
2. Spybot Search & Destroy – One of the best tools in my spyware arsenal.
3. CCLeaner – It stands for “crap cleaner” and that’s exactly what it does. Helps you scan for unwanted files, fixes registry errors, removes startup programs and so on. Very powerful little tool and best of all, it’s free!
What is your favorite antivirus software in 2012?